CHANGING BELIEFS THAT LIMIT YOU
Do you have any beliefs about yourself or the world that stop you achieving your outcomes or make you feel negative about yourself? What do you really believe (distinct from what you feel you ‘should’ believe)? As soon as you identify the beliefs you don’t want, you can change them.
5-minute exercise: changing limiting beliefs
Do a simple brainstorm with yourself.
1. Take an area of your life and ask yourself: ‘What do I believe/not believe about this?’ List anything that comes into your mind, however illogical or irrational it may seem. Go on writing until you run out of anything to write.
2. Examine what you have written.
• Are these useful beliefs to hold?
• Do any of these beliefs limit you, either generally or in a specific context?
• What belief might be more useful?
MODELLING SUCCESSFUL BELIEFS
You may be able to think of a successful person you could model to acquire some new beliefs:
Who do you know personally who has useful and positive beliefs in the area in which you want to change your beliefs?
In what way do his beliefs differ from yours?
What does he believe about himself?
What does he believe about the world?
What does he believe about the subject you are thinking about?